Yep, grab a bigger bowl for this one. Actually, skip the bowl and just eat out of the pot. This easy butternut squash chipotle chili recipe with bourbon aged stout will knock your socks off! Whenever the weather dips below 60 degrees in the South, we light the fireplace (with the AC on), don sweaters, and start whipping up pots of chili. After living here for 14 years, I have definitely temperature adapted, despite living half of my life surviving brutal winters in the Midwest and Northeast. Now, below 60, is the perfect excuse for me to make chili. I have been making chili for many, many years and this recipe combines personal experiments and my favorite elements from various recipes.
About the Recipe: Easy Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili
Scientists have identified over 4,000 different types of chilis and I would estimate at least that many chili recipes exist. Don’t be daunted by the list of the ingredients for this flavorful powerhouse! My healthy plant-based chili recipe comes together easily. Butternut squash provides a sweet, silky texture, while jalopenos and chipotle peppers provide heat. Mushrooms deliver umami, and an extra flavor boost from chocolate coffee bourbon stout. Founders Brewery crafts my favorite beer for chili by slow aging it in bourbon barrels. In lieu of meat, French lentils and beans add protein and depth. Finally, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and spices round out and balance the dish.
Butternut Squash Lentil Chili with Chocolate Coffee Bourbon Stout & Espresso
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 1 cup potato cubed (My favorite type are Murasaki.)
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms (try to use portobella or shiitake)
- 1 jalopeno pepper minced
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp cumin seed (or ground)
- 1 tbsp Worcesteshire sauce
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 heaping tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 15 oz cans cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate bourbon coffee stout beer*
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannellini beans (or use pinto)
- 1/2 cup French/green lentils
- salt to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of vegetable broth or olive oil to the bottom of a large pot. Heat over medium.
- Add butternut squash, celery, potato, mushrooms, jalopeno, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook 8 minutes.
- Add chipotle peppers, (reserve the rest in case you want to add more heat) oregano, thyme, cumin, Worcestershire, mustard, and vinegar. Cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and stout beer. Bring to a low simmer.
- Add lentils and cook 30 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer an additional 30-45 minutes. Like most soups, this recipe tastes even better the next day.