My girls love the story Nanette’s Baguette by Mo Willems. In the story, the little girl accepts the task to travel to the bakery by herself for the first time to buy a baguette. However, the baguette is so delicious that she eats it all on the way home. We have the same delectable dilemma each week when we pick up our baguettes from Tiller Baking Company. They have the most fantastic, locally crafted breads.
Once per week, our dinner menu consists of a baguette sandwich night. It is a fun way to involve the kids in creating their own healthy meal featuring delicious spreads and fresh seasonal vegetables.
Here is how you can create this fun meal at home. Prepare or purchase the spreads. Assemble a tray with spreads and toppings and let everyone invent their own creations!
Spread Ideas Featured in Photos:
- Beet Tahini Sauce: one of my favorites from Love and Lemons. I like to top with cucumbers or zucchini spirals.
- Mint Pea Sauce: Top with radish, tomatoes, or carrots.
- Pine Nut Ricotta: this spread is so good I always have some made in the refrigerator. Recipe from Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen.
- Wasabi Miso Cashew Spread: I was inspired by a half jar of cashew cream I found in my refrigerator while I was craving a vegetable sushi roll. Top with cucumbers and roasted sweet potatoes or carrots.
Mint Pea Sauce
- 2 cups frozen petite peas thawed or fresh
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 bunch fresh mint stems removed
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients together. If needed thin sauce with a little water or additional lemon juice.
Wasabi Miso Cashew Spread
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp fresh wasabi paste
- 1 tbsp mirin cooking wine
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 heaping tsp red miso paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 1 hour then drain.
- Add all ingredients to blender and mix until achieve desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Other Kid Friendly Spread and Topping Ideas:
- Savory hummus
- Chocolate hummus with fruit
- Cashew cream cheese
- Peanut or almond butter with celery
- Tomatoes, olive oil, and basil
- Everything bagel seasoning