My friend Jana very kindly gave me their air fryer while in the process of converting to a different unit. At first, I thought I would just play around with it. However, I discovered that we use it on a daily basis. It is such an easy way to crisp vegetables like sweet potatoes, cauliflower, or my Air-Fried Mushroom Nuggets. Air-frying allows you to achieve a crispy texture without drenching everything in oil. In addition the vegetables retain their natural flavors!
About the Recipe: Crispy Air-Fried Mushroom Nuggets
When you order 5 lb of oyster mushrooms you have more than enough for a few meals! Even if they are the best locally cultivated mushrooms from Rebecca Farms that you have ever tasted. My latest air fryer adventure involved a bit of a ruse. I wanted both my children to taste the mushrooms. My older daughter will happily consume them over pasta, but Katie was a bit skeptical. I wondered if I could make them appear nugget-like and entice her with a bit of ketchup. My quest turned into a delectable appetizer of Air-Fried Mushroom Nuggets that the whole family enjoyed!
One of the fun advantages of making these Crispy Air-Fried Mushroom Nuggets is you can easily vary the spices. My husband and I enjoyed hot Hungarian paprika with ours while the kids preferred salt and pepper and a bit of oregano. You can also have fun with the dipping sauces from ketchup and mustard to hot chili sauces or marinara.
Crispy Air-Fried Mushroom Nuggets
- Air Fryer
- 4 cups cleaned and shredded oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup panko plus a bit extra
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or unflavored non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp minced dried garlic
- 1/2 tsp hot Hungarian paprika*
- salt, pepper to taste
Dipping Sauce Ideas: Sriracha, Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce, Cocktail Sauce, Horseradish Sauce, Spicy Mustard, Ketchup
- Gently wipe away any dirt with a paper towel. Do not wet them. Remove stems and shred the tops into appropriate sized appetizer pieces.
- Combine semolina flour, panko, and any seasonings in a large shallow bowl. Place the unsweetened non-dairy milk into a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip each mushroom into the milk and then dredge into the batter mixture. Place in the air fryer.
- Working in batches, fry the mushrooms until they are golden brown. I like to check mine every 5 minutes.
Homemade Tomato Ketchup with Za’tar
- 3 lb fresh roma tomatoes (I used midnight roma tomatoes for a more intense flavor).
- 2/3 cup honey (substitute sweetener of choice if vegan)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 1/4 cup za'tar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Aleppo pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan. Simmer 35 minutes until tomatoes are broken down and liquid has reduced.
- Let mixture cool for a bit and then blend until smooth.
- Makes about 5 cups.
Looking for some other kid-friendly recipes? Try these Ultratruffle favorites
Healthy Chocolate Caramel Brownies
Creamy Roasted Tomato & Eggplant Soup